Thursday, December 26, 2013

South Korea Trip 2013: Day 8 in Busan (Pusan Int'l University Street, Oncheonjang, Busan Trick Eye Museum)


Busy crossroads with more than one zebra crossing is common in South Korea
It's finally my last day in South Korea, and it's a pretty much packed one, what with all the sightseeing and shopping packed into a full day. Since we have yet to explore many of Busan's shopping districts, our first stop of the day is Pusan Int'l University Street.


Big breakfast at Whoever Coffee and Herb
But before we head off on our journey, breakfast is a must. My travel partners and I decided to try breakfast at a cafe nearby our hotel, Whoever Coffee and Herb. Weird name, I must say, but their western breakfast was a huge portion and above average.

My favourite was the garden salad. It came with a huge orange in it, something I've never tried. It was pretty delicious, and I savoured the whole bowl. The breakfast set comes with a coffee, garden salad, soup, and toast for 4500 won (approximately RM13.50) if I recalled correctly. Pretty decent price by me though some might say it's a bit expensive just for breakfast.


Pusan Int'l University entrance gate
After taking the subway from Jungang Station to Pusan Int'l University Station, I arrived at Pusan Int'l University street. The atmosphere here is similar to that of Edae and Hongdae since they cater more towards the youth market.


Shoe shopping at Pusan Int'l University street
I saw plenty of boots on sale here, and thought of buying one home. I didn't buy one in Seoul since luggage space was a problem, apart from mobility getting onto the KTX. Nothing caught my eye, but in general, the clothings and shoes sold here still can't beat those in Seoul. So much for fashion forward me.


Post box looking thing on the street
Anyway, I came across a few of these post box looking things on the street. I'm exactly sure what these are, but it sure does look like some sort of box for mails. If anyone knows what are these, please do share with me! :)


Yoogane's artsy wall deco
We had lunch at a Yoogane outlet located on one of the main roads in Pusan Int'l University area. It looked pretty decent, so we just gave it a go. After entering and seeing some familiar K-drama faces, then I realized that I might have heard of the restaurant's name somewhere...


Yoogane fried kimchi rice and ramen
Anyway, my travel partners and I had 2 portions of ramen and one portion of fried kimchi rice. It's pretty much a one to one ratio per person at Yoogane, but you can always call for more. The helpful staff will help with all the frying work, so you only have to enjoy the meal. I can't remember the prices exactly here, but it's pretty much affordable. It's even cheaper than having a set meal at food courts I think :)


Cute little take away cafe
After lunch, I walked around to do some more shopping. There was a cute little take away cafe along one of the main streets, and I couldn't help but wonder why we didn't have these type of cafes in KL. There are plenty of them in South Korea, but none to be found in Malaysia.... maybe a sign to open one of these in KL? :p


M.A.C. store selling clothing. Now that's a first
There were also plenty of stores in South Korea bearing names of famous brands. I saw a clothing shop with the Twitter logo, and also a M.A.C. store selling clothing. Copyright infringement anyone?


Charlie Brown Cafe at Pusan Int'l University street
And the highlight of my trip here to this street is the Charlie Brown Cafe! I actually stumbled upon this cafe though, since it was located way deep in an enclave which is connected to one of the main streets. Look out for the banner which they set up along the main street!


Charlie Brown Cafe's tiramisu
Of course I had to stop for a tea break over at Charlie Brown Cafe (it's like Hello Kitty Cafe all over again) and I shared a tiramisu. We were still quite full but nothing beats having Charlie staring back at you from the tiramisu :)

Hotel Nong Shim, of the famous Korean noodle brand
We took the subway and stopped at Oncheonjang Station since we wanted to visit the Busan Trick Eye Museum. After a long and tiring walk, we arrived at Hotel Nong Shim (yes, it's the famous Korean noodle brand, but it's definitely legit, not a ripoff) only to be told by the counter staff that the museum has moved to its new location in Nampodong. What?? Looks like they have to step up their up-to-date information more!

Nevertheless, although we felt cheated since we went so far just to be told the museum is just a walk away from our hotel, we just have to cool ourselves down because we wouldn't want to spoil all the fun on our very last day!

Map to Busan Trick Eye Museum in Nampodong (latest location)Pic credit: http://busanhaps.com/events/trick-eye-museum-saturday-nampodong
To get to Busan Trick Eye Museum in Nampodong, look out for the CGV building. If I recall correctly, the best way is to get to BIFF Square and find the Artbox outlet located on the street towards the left of the main entrance. The CGV building should be opposite the Artbox outlet, across the street.

Busan Trick Eye Museum greeting
Once you enter the CGV building, you will see a sign at the lobby to lead you to the lift up to the museum. The first sign you'll see is the Trick Eye Museum greeting board.

Trick Eye Museums in South Korea
If you are not planning to visit Busan, fret not because there are also Trick Eye Museums in Seoul and Jeju as well.

One of the many 3D portraits you can take pictures with
After paying the entrance fee of 7000 won (approximately RM21), we kept our bags in the rental lockers provided before heading into the exhibit room.

The actual entrance fee is 10,000 won for adults, but thanks to the staff at Busan Tower Hill Hotel where I stayed, I got a discount coupon for a cheaper rate. Thank you! :)

Art Toys on display
There was also a little space where you can come and paint these porcelain dolls and take them home as a souvenir. They are called Art Toys and although I didn't have some time to spare, I saw a few couples drawing on the dolls. Great place to spend some quality time with your loved one!

Art Toy
So apparently the fee for the Art Toy is 5000 won (approximately RM15) according to this tiny banner above. Quite affordable for a day's outing instead of going to the cinema. Plus you get to keep the doll and take it home! :)

Seoul Samgyetang for dinner
For the last dinner in Busan, my travel partners and I headed to Seoul Samgyetang, since it was on the walk back from BIFF Square to the hotel. I find that it's ironic that we're having Seoul Samgyetang in Busan. Anyone knows of a Busan Samgyetang outlet?

The samgyetang was just pretty much like our Chinese ginseng chicken back home, just that it was served without salt. Luckily we only ordered one portion to share, though I must say it was a welcome to eat hot food in superbly cold weather. The meal came with rice and ginseng liquor too. We paid around 17000 won (approximately RM51) for it though!

As we were leaving the next morning, we bought all our groceries from a nearby grocery store just opposite the hotel. The shop was named Big Sale or something similar and the proprietor was a friendly ahjussi who nodded at my choice of Bokbunja (6500 won), Peperos (800 won), kelp, and some yukgaejang soup bases.

So that ends my 8 day trip to South Korea and I hope you have enjoyed my recollections of the places I have travelled to. Look out for more mini-bites of my trip (I'll post more on my shopping hauls once I get some time off my busy schedule)!

Read about my experience in Nampodong, BIFF Square and Gwangbok Street (Busan) here!

Read about my experience in Chungmuro, Namdaemun and Myeongdong here!

Read about my experience in Edae, Hongdae, D-Cube City and Dongdaemun here!

Read about my experience in N Seoul Tower, Namsangol Hanok Village, Garosugil and Go-To Mall here!

 
Read about my experience in Gyeongbukgung, Bukchon Hanok Village, Samcheongdong, Changdeokgung and Insadong here!
 
Read about my experience in Busan (KTX and Busan City Night View Tour Bus) here!

Read about my experience in Jagalchi Market, Gukje Market, Haeundae Beach and Seomyeon here!

The author is planning another trip to South Korea in the future, and is contemplating the cherry blossom season or the hot summer where the sales are bound to be crazy!

Do follow me on Twitter for the latest updates!

No comments: