Friday, November 29, 2013

South Korea Trip 2013: Day 4 in Seoul (N Seoul Tower, Namsangol Hanok Village, Garosugil & Go-To Mall)

N Seoul Tower
My fourth day in South Korea was a mixture of sightseeing during morning and shopping during the later part of the day.

Seeing as we're in Seoul, my travel partners and I couldn't miss out on going to N Seoul Tower. We took the subway to Myeongdong Station and from there, we took a walk up a steep little hill to reach the Namsan Cable Car station.

Finally reached Namsan Cable Car station... and more stairs!
We paid 8500 won (approximately RM25.50) for a round trip per person up the cable car to N Seoul Tower. For those faint-hearted, do prepare yourself for a ride up the mountain. Try not to stay close to the windows if you're afraid of heights though! 

After the cable car stops, we enlightened at a small platform where some pictures of Seoul city can be taken. Alas, the day was foggy and I could not see much.

The pretty pavilion that greets visitors atop the hill after the climb
A little climb up another few flights of stairs (no wonder Koreans are so fit!) and a pretty pavilion comes into view. Once you see it, N Seoul Tower is just another 5 minutes walk away! 

Young children on a field trip
While I was there, I spotted a group of young elementary school children out for a field trip posing for a group photo. They were too cute and I could not resist taking a photo of these happy children!

Trees full with locks of love
If you are here with your special loved one, don't miss out on leaving a lock of love as a symbol of your never ending love!

Artsy chairs for photo-taking sessions
There are also plenty of artsy chairs for you to take photos with. Each one has different graphics, so there's many for you to experiment with!

Spotted a huge poster for TvN's Reply 1994 drama
I also spotted a huge poster for TvN's Reply 1994 drama, and I couldn't help grinning because I'm a huge fan of the series. Reply 1997 too!

Sculpture atop the observation deck
Go up the observation deck for a better view of Seoul city. It was foggy, so my pictures didn't turn out good. I forgo the trip the N Seoul Tower because of the weather. I didn't want to waste my money anyway. But then there's another reason for me to return to Seoul again another time....

Ride down on the cable car
On the ride down in the cable car, this time I managed to get a window corner. When going up I was stuck in the centre and since the cable car was full, I couldn't take any photos. On the way down, I finally managed to get a few of the city skyline amidst the fog.

Old men weaving at Namsangol Hanok Village
Next up I went to Namsangol Hanok Village. To get here, take the subway and stop at Chungmuro Station, take Exit 3. Behind the petrol kiosk is the entrance to Namsangol Hanok Village. Admission is free, so do make this one of your stops if you want to experience Korean traditional folk culture.

Another pretty pavilion at Namsangol Hanok Village
This place is as traditional as it gets, even the houses here are actual houses of aristocrats from the Joseon era which had been moved from various places all over the country to its current place in Namsangol Hanok Village. There is also plenty of pretty spots here for photo taking sessions during fall as the fall foliage is quite pretty here!

Outside H&M outlet in Garosugil
Time's up for sightseeing for the day and I wanted to go to Garosugil in Gangnam to see the pretty gingko tree-lined street in autumn, so I took the subway to Sinsa Station. After exiting, I couldn't find any signs leading to Garosugil so I had to ask some locals for directions. Thank goodness they were helpful and kind and I finally find myself among international brands such as Forever 21, H&M and Zara.

French-inspired Eight Seconds store in Garosugil
From walking the streets of Garosugil, I could tell that this where the hip and trendy crowd shop and hang out. As well as do their plastic surgery appointments, since there a few with masks and even white tapes all over their faces shopping away in international brand outlets.

The famous Deux Cremes Tart store in Garosugil
I also passed by the famous Deux Cremes Tart store which I read about in a few blogs. It's in the same row with H&M, so you can't really miss it, especially with the huge grassy lawn in the middle of buildings.

As my travel partners are still full after having our lunch (Korean portions are huge) we decided to skip this one. Now I'm regretting not having gone in since they are touted to serve the best tarts in Seoul.... :(

Go-To Mall in Express Bus Terminal Station (pic credit: budgettravel2korea.blogspot.com)
Later I headed to Express Bus Terminal Station via subway for the next shopping destination. To get here, take the subway and stop at Express Bus Terminal Station and take Exit 8.

There are 3 shopping malls at Express Bus Terminal Station, first is Central City Underground Mall, secondly Shinsegae Departmental Store, and lastly Go-To Mall. All three are interconnected, so just walk around and you'll find it. While Central City and Shinsegae are closer to each other, the walk to Go-To Mall from the subway exit is further. Do walk further past Central City after coming out from the subway exit and continue walking till you see the Go-To Mall sign like the picture above.

Go-To Mall in Express Bus Terminal Station (pic credit: budgettravel2korea.blogspot.com)
Trust me, the choices here in Go-To Mall is way better than most underground shopping centres I've been to. It's even better for younger ladies like myself compared to Dongdaemun since the prices here are quite competitive (5000 won tights and sweaters are abundant) and the quality of most clothes here are better too.

Come here with plenty of cash to spare because you'll never know what catches your fancy. I bought a 10,000 won dress (approximately RM30) which will probably cost me double in KL. I am thankful I found this place while doing my research for my trip. Thank you Budget Travel Guide South Korea! Click on the link to read more about the mall!

And that ends my fourth day spent in Seoul. Stay updated for more on my trip to South Korea!

Read about my experience in Nampodong, BIFF Square and Gwangbok Street (Busan) here!

Read about my experience in Chungmuro, Namdaemun and Myeongdong here!

Read about my experience in Edae, Hongdae, D-Cube City and Dongdaemun here!

Read about my experience in Gyeongbukgung, Bukchon Hanok Village, Samcheongdong, Changdeokgung and Insadong here!

Read about my experience in Busan (KTX and Busan City Night View Tour Bus) here! 


The author is swamped with too many clothes after shopping at Go-To Mall. Make sure you have sufficient luggage space if you intend to go shopping in Seoul!

Do follow me on Twitter for the latest updates!

No comments: